Sunday, October 7, 2012

Halloween... my favorite time of year

For the longest time I have wanted to quilt. It just looked hard and I got frustrated just trying to learn. Today, I'm not sure what motivated me, but I basically said screw it. I'm going to give it a try. So I got out my fabric stash, too LM to JoAnns and picked up some more Halloween fabric. After he went to bed, I started cutting, ironing, sewing, and basically just flying by the seat of my pants.

I had ten different fabric prints. I cut out a 6" square out of each print four times. Sewed them in a pattern and viola. Then I cut strips of green with black dots (used all I had, which is why its only on the sides and not the top and bottom). I made it for my LM so I got out his animal quilt that came with his bedroom set (that we don't even use) to get an approximate measurement. This blanket is a little bit bigger, but I don't mind. He'll grow into it.



I'm positively in love with this blanket. I'd make a Christmas one if I had the time (this puppy took 5 hours. Seriously? I am slow...) and the fabric stash on hand.







All in all I'm pretty pleased for a project that I sewed blindly on, had no experience, and it something I've wanted to try for a very long time. Its by no means perfect (an experienced quilter would be horrified by some of my mistakes, I am sure!). However, I still find it stinking cute. I'm a long way off from those dozy of quilts that you at stat fairs and the like, but I feel that this is a good start.

Next Halloween craft (finished a few days ago) was a steal. I saw this Halloween fabric book at JoAnns back in July. I thought it was cute. I bought it on impluse. Sticker price said $8.99. When she rang it up? 99 cents. The lady at the register double and triple checked it, but it kept coming up as 99 cents, so that's what they sold it to me for. SCORE. Doesn't get any better than that.











No comments:

Post a Comment