Thursday, April 9, 2009

Product Review



Today while making my (almost) daily trip to JoAnn Fabrics I finally broke down and spent $4.99 + tax to buy the Boyle Loopy Scarf Tool.

It took me a while to get into the swing of it, but once I started it went fairly quickly. I used two strands of yarn, each of a different color. Both were Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. One strand of Petal Pink and another of Shocking Pink. I won't make that mistake again. My resulting scarf was THICK. Now, that would be all well and good if I didn't live in desert where its only cold enough to wear a thick scarf about 2 1/2 months out of the year... at the most.

Next time I'll use thin yarn for a thinner scarf.

The hardest part is securing the loops so that they don't unravel. I did both the binding technique and fabric glue that was suggested. No go. I dropped it and tried to pick it up and had a loop come undone. I'll have to figure out another way to secure the loops.

The directions given were kind of foggy and I'd prefer better techniques on how to bid off the loops so that they did not unravel. Overall though I would recommend this product to anyone who loves scarves. The final product is fun enough... both to make (though not finish) and to wear.


The scarf laid out


Me wearing it. Sorry about the poor photograph, but I was home alone and impatient to share.


A close up shot to show just how thick it is. Excuse my facial expression but this was about my 4th time trying to take this shot. I hate doing self-photographs.

2 comments:

  1. I just bought the tool too and I like the look but can't figure out how to secure. Did you try doing a zigzag stitch down the center down the length of the scarf? I mean on the sewing machine. I don't see how it will ever work if we don't figure out a way to secure. I love the way the making part works. What did you use for the binder yarn?
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I'll try hand sewing along the center slipknots while the yarn is still on the tool. Once it's slipped off I don't have to worry about digging back in there to get every last little yarn strung with thread. I know I won't be able to get away with running mine through my machine, I'll have to sell it for $800 because a sewing machine will be stuck to it! ;-p

    ReplyDelete