Saturday, March 13, 2010

My First Shirt Reconstructions

So all over the internet I see all these fantastic (and sometimes odd) T-Shirt reconstructions. After the turn of the New Year I did my yearly closet/dresser clean out and instead of taking clothes down to Goodwill this year, I threw them in a pile in my craft room and waited for inspiration to hit. I have about twenty shirts that I want to reconstruct. Today I did three.

First up, is a T-Shirt that my parents brought me back from Canada (they live 3 hours from the border) back in '07:


I turned this into a functional tote bag:


Its a little floppy because I did reinforce it with anything (or add any lining) but once I but in hardback books it has a nice shape. I also used this opportunity to try some fancy stitching at the top:


The next one is a "party shirt" that I picked up in Brussels, Belgium at a street market just outside my hotel when I was there in the fall of 2007:


Generally, I loved this shirt but I live in the desert now so long sleeves are a no-no and I don't party much, so I lopped off the sleeves and cut off the belt.

This one is made to be worn over tank tops. I love wearing tanks but as a teacher they're not appropriate at work, so I've been trying to come up with a cover to wear over them while I'm teaching.

And the back:


The last one is a black shirt that I've had since high school:


I cut it diagnoally across the front and back and did the same to the sleeves. I tried to make the sleeves different lengths but after hemming, they came out to be about the same oddly enough:


Action shot:


And the back:


Overall, I'm pretty pleased with these considering they're my first reconstructions. Now I just have to get up the nerve to wear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment